But you don’t need a lot of time to log an incredibly effective workout. For a full-body routine that you can squeeze into your daily routine without rearranging your schedule, trainer David Kirsch has got your back…and abs, arms, and butt. The fast, five-minute workout below is part of Kirsch’s new book, Ultimate Family Wellness, where he lays out his 5-5-5 plan for wellness that includes healthy-eating guidelines and simple workouts.
Move through the exercises below without resting if you can and you’ll not only strengthen your muscles, but you’ll burn more calories, too.
Do each of the five exercises below for one minute without rest. If you want more of a challenge, repeat the sequence one or two more times. You’ll need one set of light dumbbells.
Now let’s breakdown the moves:
1. Sumo Lunges: This is one of Kirsch’s signature butt exercises—he uses this move when training clients like Heidi Klum. Here’s a quick video of him demonstrating how to do it.
2. Squats: Think more ballet, less boot camp. This is a plié squat which means you don’t hinge your hips back when lowering your butt toward the floor. Instead, imagine that you’re gliding your back down a wall while you’re getting low.
3. Jumping Jacks With Shoulder Presses: Adding light weights, Kirsch recommends 3 to 5 pounds, makes this cardio move even more challenging. The tip here is to keep your elbows wide throughout the entire exercise.
4. Plank: Kirsch is a big fan of this exercise. The goal with this move is to get into position (that means keeping your spine long, abs tight, and wrists directly under your shoulders), and holding it for one full minute—or as long as you can without sacrificing form. If you need to drop to your knees, that’s OK, come back into the full position when you’re ready.
5. Side Planks: This plank variation targets your obliques, the muscles that run along the sides of your waist. Keep the wrist of the arm that’s on the floor in line with your shoulder and drive your hips toward the ceiling.